The Scale Emulator lets you create an ad that fills out all sizes depending on its context. In other words, it enables you to create a flawless responsive ad.
Initial ad creation
First, do as usual and create your ad as you know it. Arrange all of your assets in the composition and functionality as you see fit by utilizing the Preference Panel.
Size: Select the size of your Stage.
Placement Scale Policy: Be sure to select “Fill” in order to be able to control the behavior of specific widgets later in the scaling process.
Accessing the Scale Emulator
Bottom bar: Select the stage you’d like to work on in the Stages and Pages Panel and then click the Scale Emulator icon on the bottom bar of the studio.
Entering the interface of the Scale Emulator, you can see your original ad spreading into various different sizes. Here’s how you can view the ones relevant to you:
Top navigation bar: Enables you to view ad sizes by categories.
- Popular sizes
- All sizes
- With bars
- Without bars
For static banners:
- AdWords banners
Device ratio info boxes: Show you which type of device supports the chosen ads size. Find it when hovering over the question mark icon under each ad.
In your chosen categories of ad sizes, you can see that the widgets of your ad have been arranged and resized across size versions automatically. If you want to scale and align each widget (of each ad size) individually, apply the left-hand bar of the interface.
Widgets bar: Lets you select each single widget of your ad. Once selected, the widget is marked across the different size versions.
Scale and Alignment bar: Lets you scale and align each selected widget in each ad size individually.
Scale: allows you to control the scale policy of a widget.
Scenario 1 – Scaling a widget while keeping its aspect ratio in maximum size and filling the screen width
Premise: Lock button is activated.
Scale Width: Allows you to scale the width of your selected widget.
- None: does not expand.
- Cover: Expands to maximum width to fit the screen by maintaining its aspect ratio.
- Width: Expands horizontally over the screen.
- Height: Expands vertically over the screen.
- Contain: Expands to always fit the screen, default setting.
Scenario 2 – Scaling a widget without maintaining the aspect ratio
Premise: Deactivate the unlock button to scale the height of your widget as well.
Scale Height: Allows you to scale the height of your selected widget the same way as it’s done for the width.
Use cases: Create a banner / background for your text within the ad that fits changing screen sizes to its sides:
1. Create a background on the canvas.
2. In the Scale Emulator, choose the widget you want to scale (Shape, in our case), go to its scaling settings, and choose ‘Width’ for the Scale Width, and ‘Cover’ for the Scale Height. The widget will now fill out all screens horizontally:
Alignment: enables you to align your selected widget to a corner, side or center of the screen.
Downloading Static Banners
If you used the Scale Emulator for creating static banners and want to download them, you have two options:
1. Download a single banner: Click on the download button beneath each ad size.
2. Download all banners from an ad size category: Click on the ‘Download All’ button on the bottom left side of the Scale Emulator interface.
Define your image quality parameters. By pressing download, you will automatically receive all ad creatives of your chosen ad size category in a zip folder.